EndoscopyEndoscopy is routinely performed at the Centers for Medical and Surgical Gastroenterology, Apollo Hospitals, India for the following conditions: For patients who suffer from gastrointestinal bleeding ,both Banding / injection of esophageal varices and control of bleeding with adrenaline injection / argon plasma coagulation are routinely performed.
- For patients with swallowing difficulty due to esophageal stricture or achalasia, endoscopic dilatation can be carried out under fluoroscopic guidance. Similarly dilatation of pyloric and colonic strictures can also be carried out. In patients with Esophageal tumours, metallic stent placement is done, after dilatation.
- For patients for whom feeding is a problem either due to neurological disorders or altered consciousness levels, endoscopic placement of nasojejunaltube or PEG (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) tube is done.
- Endoscopic removal of gastric / colonic polyps is routinely done.
- For patients with obstructive jaundice, ERCP / papillatomy / stone extraction from CBD/biliary stenting (plastic as well as metal stents) can be performed.
- Placement of pancreatic stents in patients with severe pain due to chronic calcific pancreatitis is done.
- Esophageal manometry, pH studies and rectal manometry, which are available in only limited centres, are done routinely and help not only in diagnosis, but also in deciding which patients with gastroesophageal reflux or achalasia are likely to require surgery.
- Other routine procedures like liver biopsy, aspiration of liver abscess and diagnostic and therapeutic paracentesis are done through endoscopy.