Dr Vishal Garg
MBBS, MD, DM
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar, Delhi-mathura Road, New Delhi - 110076
- He is Presently Working as a Consultant Gastroenterologist Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- He did his MD (Medicine) from the prestigious Maulana Azad Medical College and then completed his DM (Gastroenterology) from G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi.
- He has special interest in patients with liver disease especially Acute Liver Failure and Acute on Chronic Liver Failure (ACLF), cirrhosis, Viral Hepatitis (B, C). His other areas of interest include pancreato-biliary disorders, IBS, Inflammatory bowel disease, liver and GI Malignancies.
- He is well trained with all major diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures.
- He has numerous publications in various international and national journals including first author publication in Gastroenterology journal on ACLF.
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Life Member East Delhi Physician Association
- Life Member API Noida
Awards And Achievements
- Gold Medal (PothaPrgada Award): Distinction and first in Biochemistry (First Professional Examination, MBBS), 1997
- Silver Medal: Second in Microbiology (Second Professional Examination, MBBS), 1999
- Silver Medal: Second in Ophthalmology (Final Professional Examination, MBBS), 2000
- Presented an oral paper at American Association for the Study of the Liver disease (AASLD), Annual Meeting 2010, Boston, USA
- Presented an oral paper at Asia Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver disease (APASL), Annual Meeting 2010, Beijing, China
- Received Liver Care Foundation Young Investigator travel grant for APASL, 2010 Annual conference, Beijing, China
- Won Young Investigator Award in Indian Society of Gastroenterology- 2010 at Hyderabad
Research and Publications
- Garg V, Garg H, Khan A, Trehanpati N, Kumar A, Sharma BC, Sakhuja P, Sarin SK. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor mobilizes CD34(+) cells and improves survival of patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. Gastroenterology. 2012 Mar;142(3):505-512.
- Garg H, Sarin SK, Kumar M, Garg V, Sharma BC, Kumar A. Tenofovir improves the outcome in patients with spontaneous reactivation of hepatitis B presenting as acute-on-chronic liver failure. Hepatology. 2011 Mar; 53(3):774-80.2.
- Hitendra Garg, Shiv Kumar Sarin, Manoj Kumar, Vishal Garg, BarjeshChander Sharma, Ashish Kumar. The ethics of placebo treatment for patients with acute exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B. (Reply) Hepatology, 2011 Aug; 54(2),: 741-2.3.
- Sharma BC, Garg V, Reddy R. Endoscopic Management of Liver Abscess with Biliary Communication. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Feb;57(2):524-7
- Hitendra Garg, Ashish Kumar, Vishal Garg, Praveen Sharma, BarjeshChander Sharma, Shiv Kumar Sarin. Clinical profile and predictors of mortality in patients of acute-on-chronic liver failure. Dig Liver Dis. 2012 Feb;44(2):166-71
- Soni RC, Puri AS, Garg V, Sachdeva S, Banka A, Tyagi P, Saran RK. Comparative yield of fine needle aspiration cytology, ampullary biopsy, and needle knife assisted biopsy in the diagnosis of nonulcerated periampullary tumors. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul;32(4):258-61
- Gupta N, Kumar A, Sharma P, Garg V, Sharma BC, Sarin SK. Effects of the adjunctive probiotic VSL#3 on portal haemodynamics in patients with cirrhosis and large varices: a randomized trial. Liver Int. 2013 Sep;33(8):1148-57.
- Garg H, Kumar A, Garg V, Kumar M, Kumar R, Sharma BC, Sarin SK. Hepatic and systemic hemodynamic derangements predict early mortality and recovery in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 Aug;28 (8):1361-7.
- Purie AS, Garg V. Differential diagnosis in functional dyspepsia. J Assoc Physicians India. 2012 Mar;60 Suppl:23-4.
- Kaur S, Tripathi D, Dongre K, Garg V, Rooge S, Mukopadhyay A, Sakhuja P, Sarin SK. Increased number and function of endothelial progenitor cells stimulate angiogenesis by resident liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (SECs) in cirrhosis through paracrine factors. J Hepatol. 2012 Dec;57(6):1193-8.
- Sharma BC, Reddy RS, Garg V. Endoscopic management of hepatic hydatid cyst with biliary communication. Dig Endosc. 2012 Jul;24(4):267-70.
- V Garg, A Miglani, R Saini, P Kar. Diagnosis and investigations in a patient with gastroesophageal reflux disease. JIMSA: 2005: 18(4): 203-5.
- A Miglani, V Garg, R Saini, P Kar. Management of GERD. JIMSA: 2005: 18(4): 207-9.