Dr Arun Prasad | Best gastroenterologist in Delhi
FRCS (UK), FRCSEd, FACS MS ( MAMC ) MBBS ( AFMC )
Surgical Gastroenterologist, Bariatrics Surgery, General Surgeon
35 years +
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar, Delhi-mathura Road, New Delhi - 110076
- 35 years of experience as a surgeon makes him one of the most experienced surgeons in India and Globally doing laparoscopy (1990), advanced laparoscopy (1997), single incision laparoscopy (2010), bariatric surgery (2004), robotic surgery (2012) and bariatric endoscope (2018)
- Medical graduate from the prestigious Armed Forces Medical College, Pune. He did his masters in surgery from Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi in 1988 and went to UK for higher surgical training in GI surgery.
- There after doing FRCS in 1990, he worked at Charing Cross Medical School, London and associated hospitals. Laparoscopic surgery was started by his team at that hospital.
- On his return from UK in 1996, he joined Apollo Hospitals as one of the youngest senior consultants. He was also conferred with the prestigious FACS (USA) in 2019.
- Pioneer in laparoscopy in UK and India. 1st generation for Advanced GI laparoscopy, Thoracoscopy, SILS, Bariatric & Robotic Surgery in India with many 1st surgeries.
- Laparoscopic Gall Bladder Surgery : Pioneer of laparoscopic surgery in UK and India. First lap cholecystectomy in 1990 as junior surgeon in Nottingham. Now over 6000 laparoscopic cholecystectomy experience with no bile duct injuries. Also single incision (SILS) surgery.
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery : Technique published in British Journal of Surgery 1994. Experience of over 2000 laparoscopic hernia surgery including TAPP, TEP, IPOM, eTEP, AWR and TAR
- Bariatric Surgery : Pioneer in India (over 1000 surgeries) including patients of over 250 kg. Sleeve Gastrectomy, Roux enY Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB)
- Bariatric Endoscopy : Pioneer of procedures like Gastric Balloon, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) for those for those who don’t want surgery.
- Robotic Surgery : World pioneer of Robotic Bariatric and Thymectomy Surgery with over 400 cases.
- Gastro intestinal Surgery : Laparoscopic & Robotic Benign and Cancer Treatment. Also Stapled MIPH piles, VAFT fistula treatment.
- Largest experience of Thoracoscopy and Robotic Bariatric Surgery in India.
- Records : Some records like, lap chole in 100 year old patient, bariatric surgery in 272 kg patient (record broken by others recently), largest thymoma removed by robotic surgery, 1st robotic minigastric bypass surgery, internationally accepted technique of totally robotic bariatric surgery etc.
Morbid obesity, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Hernia, Gall bladder Stones, Myasthenia Gravis, Hiatus Hernia, Achalasia Cardia, Thymoma
Bariatric Surgery, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty, Robotic Surgery, Advnced Laparoscopy, Thymectomy, Sympathectomy
- FRCS – Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh & Glasgow (UK)
- FACS – Fellow of American College of Surgeons (USA)
- FMBS – Fellow of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
- President of Obesity surgery society of India (OSSI), affiliated to International Federation for Surgery of Obesity (IFSO)
- President of International MGB OAGB Club for Bariatric Surgery
- Former Vice President Indian Association of Gastro Endoscopic Surgeons (IAGES).
- FALS – Fellow of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery ( Bariatric, Hernia, Upper GI, Hepatobiliary )
- Member Indian Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Awards And Achievements
- Award by Health Minister of Delhi for Thoracoscopy work
- Award by Health Minister of India for Bariatric work
- Orations for ASI Delhi, Andhra Pradesh
- Invited key note speaker at Ghent, Belgium for Robotic Surgery
- Award for Robotic Bariatric Surgery at Valladolid, Spain
- Faculty at multiple International conferences of Laparoscopic Surgery, Robotic Surgery, Bariatric Surgery – London, Montreal, Vienna, Paris, Naples, Milan, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Germany, Spain, China etc
- Live transmission of surgery to national and international conferences showing robotic and bariatric surgery
- Organizer of Fellowship course in bariatric surgery at Mumbai, Philippines and Duke University USA on behalf of International Bariatric Club & Academy
- Organizer and Academic coordinator of over 50 courses for trauma training under the aegis of Primary Trauma Care UK
Research And Publications
- Robotic One Anastomosis ( Omega Loop / Mini ) Gastric Bypass For Morbid Obesity. Journal of Robotic Surgery, December 2014; 8 (4) : 371-374,
- The BMJ Awards India: And the winners are . . . robotic spinal surgery, hospital stewardship of antibiotics, and primary care for hill tribes, BMJ 2014; 349 doi: (Published 24 September 2014) Cite this as: BMJ 2014;349:g5803
- Robotic Single Anastomosis (Mini) Gastric Bypass, Obes Surg (2014) 24:1190, DOI 10.1007/s11695-014-1292-0
- Totally robotic gastric bypass using modified Lonroth technique, Arun Prasad, Jayashree Todkar, Obes Surg (2015) 25 (Suppl 1):S38–S39, DOI 10.1007/s11695-015-1750-3
- Robotic assisted Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy in a post-cholecystectomy type E2 bile duct injury. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21(6): 1703-1706
- Robotic surgery for hiatus hernia in super obese. The World Journal of Hernia and Abdominal Wall Surgery 2015; 19 (1) : 15
- Role of VATS in Management of Pulmonary Hydatid and Follow Up: A Case Series”. Aggarwal N, Prasad A et al. EC Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine 7.10 (2018): 714-720
- Robotic Minigastric bypass. Prasad A. Page 171-179 ; Essentials of Mini ? One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass. 2018.
- Weight Regain After Bariatric Surgery—A Multicentre Study of 9617 Patients from Indian Bariatric Surgery Outcome Reporting Group – Acknowledged as contributor in published study – Baig, S.J., Priya, P., Mahawar, K.K. et al. OBES SURG (2019) 29: 1583.
- Standardization of Bariatric Metabolic Procedures: World Consensus Meeting Statement Acknowledged as working group member in published study – Bhandari, M., Fobi, M.A.L., Buchwald, J.N., Prasad A. et al. OBES SURG (2019) 29(Suppl 4): 309.
- One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass in Morbidly Obese Patients with BMI ≥ 50 kg/m2: a Systematic Review Comparing It with Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy. Parmar, C.D., Bryant, C., Luque-de-Leon, E., Prasad A. et al. OBES SURG 29, 3039–3046 (2019) doi:10.1007/s11695-019-04034-9