Robotic surgery in India had an unprecedented surge, over the past ten years.
In our country, there were more than 500 trained robotic surgeons, 66 institutions, and 71 robotic installations as of July 2019. More than 12,800 surgeries have been successfully completed in these 12 years with robotic assistance. Because robotic surgery in India is at affordable prices, along with the best medical facilities and high success rates, it is becoming increasingly popular internationally. The United States, the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Oman, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, and Australia are among the top 15 countries from whom patients travel to India for robotic surgery. India’s top hospital for robotic surgery is, the Indraprastha Apollo hospitals in New Delhi.
Robotic surgery in Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals Delhi
Robotic technology has complemented Apollo’s ongoing efforts to provide the greatest therapeutic outcomes for patients with its fully equipped OTs. The da Vinci surgical system, which is placed in modern operating rooms, is the most advanced platform for minimally invasive surgery currently available. By combining computer-assisted technology and their expertise, surgeons may perform extremely delicate and precise minimally invasive surgery (MIS) using the Da Vinci System.
The Apollo Institute of Robotic Surgery was founded by Apollo Hospitals in association with the Vattikuti Foundation of Michigan, USA. Another form of robotic systems used is Renaissance Robotic Technology. Doctors at Indraprastha Apollo hospitals are extremely knowledgeable and adept, since they have been successfully performing robotic surgical procedures since year 2012, and have approximately performed 2000 successful surgeries till date. To make sure there are sufficient number of qualified professionals, scheduled intensive sessions for efficient training of surgeons are organized so that simplest to advanced procedures can be carried out smoothly using the most cutting-edge robotic systems available.
Robotic surgery: What is it?
Robotic surgery, commonly referred to as robot-assisted surgery, gives medical professionals more flexibility, precision, and control than is feasible with conventional methods for performing a variety of complex procedures. Minimally invasive surgery, or MIS, is frequently related to robotic surgery and is carried out through tiny incisions. Additionally, it is employed in a few common open surgical operations.
The most common clinical robotic surgical system has a camera arm and mechanical arms with surgical instruments attached. The surgeon controls the arms while seated at a computer console next to the operating table. The console shows the surgeon a high-definition, magnified, 3D views of the surgery site.
What is robotic surgery`s da vinci surgical system?
Surgeons that use the robotic system say it enhances flexibility, precision, and control during the procedure and offers them a better view of the location when compared to traditional methods. Robotic surgery enables surgeons to do delicate and complex procedures that would otherwise be difficult or impossible. By combining computer-assisted technology and their expertise, surgeons may perform extremely delicate and precise minimally invasive surgery (MIS) using the Da Vinci System.
- From a computer panel inside the operating room, the surgeon tries to control tiny instruments mounted on three robotic arms to make minuscule incisions in the patient.
- The surgeon views the surgical site using a fourth robotic arm that has a 3-D camera attached which magnifies the region.
- Through the computer interface, the movements of the surgeon’s hand, wrist, and fingers are transmitted to the instruments attached to the robot’s arms. The duplicated movements offer maximum control, much like the surgeon’s range of motion does.
What is robotic surgery`s advantages?
Robotic surgery makes minimally invasive surgery possible. The following are some benefits of minimally invasive surgery:
- Fewer problems, such as infections at the surgical site.
- Healthier tissue as it sustains less injury.
- There is little bleeding, and transfusion rates are below 10%.
- Compared to traditional operations, there is a considerable reduction in pain.
- A shorter hospital stay and a faster recovery
- Keyhole-like, 1 to 2 cm smaller scars that are difficult to see
- Reduced dosage of medicine
- Greater precision: With a wider range of motion than a human hand, the robotic arm’s operations are more accurate.
- For better visibility, a sophisticated camera provides magnified, high-definition views of the surgical region. Additionally, it is capable of 3D imaging that is superior to what the human eye is capable of.
- Ability to do surgery inside the body; formerly, performing some procedures within the body would have needed a much wider incision. However, surgeons are now able to perform procedures within these difficult to access parts of the body thanks to the small equipment at their disposal.
- Reduces patient trauma, particularly in specific locations of the pelvis, abdomen and chest,
- It let’s surgeons operate while seated
- Superior ergonomics to laparoscopic and open surgical techniques
- Standard hand-eye alignment
- The surgeon is less tired.
- Leads to development f higher level of surgical skill
- Four robotic arms with increased mechanical strength enable minimally invasive surgery to be performed even on patients with high BMI.
Urology and Robotic Urology
The Apollo Hospitals’ Centers of Urology and andrology offer diagnostic and surgical services for all genitourinary illnesses and address surgical issues with the
- Urinary bladder
- Penis and testes as well as fertility and erectile dysfunction
The department of urology and andrology handles conditions such as prostate enlargement, urinary stones, stricture disease, and cancers related to the respective organs.
Renal transplantation, urological cancers, reconstructive urology, endo-urology for stone diseases (including Flexible Ureteroscopy, Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy, and Laparoscopic Nephrectomy), neuro-urology with urodynamic facility, andrology for treating male infertility and erectile dysfunction (including prosthetic surgery), female urology, and pediatric urology are among the fields of expertise at Indraprastha Apollo hospital. The institute also offers a regular academic teaching program in addition to its clinical activity. They also deliver DNB-accredited instructions.
Apollo hospitals, has been a frontrunner in medical care due to their patient-centered management of cancer and benign urological illnesses, by efficiently combining and utilizing years of expertise. They are the only hospital in whole of North India whose urology specialists are certified European and American board members.
Indraprastha Apollo hospital comprises of latest technology and makes use of modern techniques such as,
- Nuclear scan and ultrasound
- CT Scan
- Radical Cystectomy
- Radical Nephrectomy (Laparoscopic)
- Radical Prostatectomy
- Uro-oncological Surgery
- BCG therapy
- PCN (Percutaneous nephrostomy)
- Lithotripsy (The most recent computerised systems position, concentrate, and then transmit controlled shock waves using ultrasonic radiation)
- Ureteral calibration
- Urethral pressure profile studies (UPP)
- Filling and voiding Cytometry
- All minor and major procedures comprising of laparoscopic surgeries, laser treatments for stones, prostate, penile implants for erectile dysfunction and endoscopic procedures.
- Urodynamics (Fully computerised urodynamic equipment that employ thorough management strategies and are utilised to treat neurogenic bladder. These devices also have “EMG” capabilities, which are crucial for identifying neurological illnesses, spinal injuries, Parkinsonism, and urinary and intestinal issues)
to perform various procedures for treatment and diagnosis for any kind of urological ailment in both children and adults.
Services and expertise provided by our skilled surgeons at Indraprastha Apollo hospital includes:
- Renal transplantation
- Urological cancers
- Reconstructive urology
- Endo-urology for stone diseases (including Laparoscopic Nephrectomy, Flexible Ureteroscopy and Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy)
- Neuro-urology with urodynamic facility
- Andrology for treating male infertility and erectile dysfunction (including prosthetic surgery), female urology, and pediatric urology.
- Ureteral reimplantation
- Pyeloplasty for ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction
- Cystoplasty augmentation
- Other pediatric urology procedures include some operations on the pelvic region (such as the removal of a symptomatic or malignant urachal cyst, a symptomatic bladder diverticulum, the surgical reconstruction of an imperforate anus, the removal of a posterior urethral diverticula, the removal of a malformation caused by incomplete regression of the Müllerian ducts, the removal of the prostatic utricle, and the treatment of varicocele).
- In comparison to open surgery, the number of robot assisted radical prostatectomies, Pyeloplasty, adrenalectomy, radical nephrectomy, and donor nephrectomy procedures has increased significantly due to the improved preservation of urinary continence following surgery (some patients reported continence within one or two days post catheter removal) and the decreased incidence of erectile dysfunctions due to better nerve sparing.
- Increased accuracy and precision in treatments like partial nephrectomy have made nephron sparing surgery effective, preserving kidney function.
Indraprastha Apollo hospitals in New Delhi, is one of the best hospitals for robotic assisted urological surgery, and is a pioneer in incorporating new technologies for better patient care.
Modern surgical and reconstructive methods are used in the center’s advanced surgical operations. The most cutting-edge medical technology, computer navigation, and imaging equipment are used to help the team of highly skilled surgeons. Medical and surgical care in all facets of adult and pediatric urology is provided by the department of urology, which is one of the busiest when it comes to performing robot-assisted surgeries since they have been doing robotic surgical treatments since 2012 and have performed more than 3000 successful surgeries to date.
The doctors at Indraprastha Apollo hospitals are exceptionally knowledgeable and skilled, as designated cases of urological robotic surgery are carried out with utmost expertise resulting in successful outcomes at the fairest price, with top-notch medical facilities available. Numerous overseas patients from all over the world have been inspired by these attributes to fly to Apollo hospitals for robotic surgery and other types of medical operations.
Why Robot assisted urology compared to conventional one?
Thanks to the availability of the most elaborate and best Patient Care and Clinical Coordination teams, stationed here at Indraprastha Apollo hospitals, New Delhi, patients receive the smoothest, most seamless care imaginable.